Saturday, July 5, 2008

Anniversaries (and other things I forget)

I crew on a sailboat - well this summer, two sailboats. Still learning the new boat, but wow are they organized or WHAT??; email, yahoo groups and their own website. Contact is constant. Whether you like it or not.

Emails started flying about Wednesday, as organization efforts begin for the weekend races. As it's a holiday weekend (Friday being OUR NATIONS birthday and all) you'd expect less of the racing, and more of the partying.

But you'd be wrong.

Turns out that turnout for Saturday would be less than enough to race seriously (and boy howdy, this boat is SERIOUS. We can't even DRINK before the race is over, which is the #1 reason why I'm not all excited about sailing with this crowd. A fact that was NOT STATED clearly before I signed up).

ANYWAY - crew, July 5, not enough, and it's not an important race anyway - VOTE, do we want to race or not? (guess which way my vote was going...).

July 5 - pause - why is that sounding like something is going on? Think, think, drum fingers, consult new calendar on new blackberry... nothing, nothing.................. OH CRAP, it's our 11th wedding anniversary!!! (me, aghast)

The ONLY thing working in my favor here is that the ribbing only took place on email (the guys LOVED this - isn't it your HUSBANDS job to forget the anniversary??). And that when I called the Husband (who shall heretofore be known as Odd Job for reasons that shall be explained later):

Me: Hey hon, about Saturday. Is there any reason at all if we should get a sitter and go out to dinner? On Saturday? Maybe?

OddJob: Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......

Me: At all? July 5?

OddJob: Oh CRAP..........!!

At least I remembered it first.......

2 comments:

hokgardner said...

Welcome to the blogosphere and thanks for stopping mine.

I grew up on the gulf coast of Florida, south of Tampa, and spent a lot of time in my middle and high school years sailing. I miss it. Sailing just isn't as popular here in Austin.

SMEANJ said...

CRAP!! Since I was there too, you might think I'd remember. But, nooooo. Can't remember my own half the time either. Sorry. ;-)

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!!! <3
M